Review: Side Effects May Vary

August 04, 2017


Side Effects May VarySide Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"I’d heard in class once that our society has become so accustomed to violence that when we actually do witness real gore and brutality, we’re unable to differentiate between what’s real and what’s not."

 I don't read much contemporary, I often don't like the characters and the fact that there is no fantasy or mystery (which is most of the time what I like about reading) does nothing to change my mind. But with this book it was completely the other way around, I think what I loved about this book so much are the characters, I love that the main girl is bitchy and horrible sometimes, it's such a refreshing change from the kind but boring Hazel Grace from The Fault In Our Stars, don't get me wrong being kind is good too, but if I'm going to read about a teenage girl with cancer I want her to be angry and feel rage like any other teenager would at such news.

 I love how this book is not a romanticized story about how cancer can affect your life, but a raw description of what if would feel to know you're dying, because metaphors and Amsterdam trips are alright, but I'm not sure I would see it that way if I was in that place.

 Somehow between irony and cold sentences Julie Murphy manages to make her characters believable and bring them to life in a most human way.

---

 No me gusta mucho leer novelas contemporáneas, muchas veces no me gustan los personajes y el hecho de que no hay fantasía o misterio (que es la mayor parte del tiempo lo que me gusta de leer) no ayuda a cambiar esa idea. Pero con éste libro es completamente lo contrario, creo que lo que más amé fueron los personajes, me encantó que la chica principal sea malévola y horrible a veces, es un cambio muy refrescante desde la amable pero aburrida Hazel Grace de The Fault In Our Stars, no me entiendan mal, ser amable está bien, pero si voy a leer un libro sobre una adolescente con cáncer quiero que ella esté enojada y sienta furia como cualquier otro que se encontrara en s lugar.

 Amo como este libro no es una versión romatizada sobre cómo tener cáncer puede afectar tu vida, pero una cruda descripción de lo que se sentiría saber que estás muriendo, porque las metáforas y los viajes a Ámsterdam están bien, pero no estoy segura de que yo lo vería de esa manera si fuera mi caso.

De alguna manera entre ironía y frases agudas Julie Murphy se las arregla para hacer a sus personajes reales y darles vida de la forma más humana posible.

View all my reviews

You Might Also Like

0 Comments