Review: My Lady Jane

August 23, 2017


My Lady Jane (The Lady Janies, #1)My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

“My Lady, please! I am indecent.' 'You are,' Jane agreed. 'Not to mention the fact that you are also unclothed.”

“I’m glad we will not be forced to live by your quill, because I am rather used to having food on the table. But, I appreciate the effort behind those words.”

 I think my expectations were way too high. This book is funny in a silly, ridiculous, concealed snort, Princess Bride sort of way; however, after reading quite a few brilliant, five-star reviews I think I was expecting so much more. Don't take me wrong, I liked it, but I was expecting it to be hilarious and it's just funny.

 Still I think it works really well, the characters are wonderful, the story is nice and fast paced, it reads really quickly. And for someone like me who really adores The Tudors it also brings out more than a few smiles, if only for it's ridiculousness. For anyone who doesn't know who Lady Jane Grey (the protagonist) was in real life here's the thing, she was the Queen of England for a week or something after her cousin Edward died, following said week Mary Tudor (the original Bloody Mary) strolled into London, took the palace and had her beheaded.

 The book follows Jane as she becomes queen and is forcefully married to a very... let's say strange fellow. Her life turns into a entirely different thing but it doesn't stop there, there's also magic and foolishness and back-stabing enemies as the authors write her otherwise common story into quite a ride. My Lady Jane is a really nice book, not my favourite perhaps but a good one still.

---

 Creo que mis expectativas eran muy altas. Este libro es divertido de una manera un poco tonta, ridícula, un poco como en The Princess Bride; sin embargo, después de haber leído varias reseñas brillantes creo que esperaba mucho más de él. No me malinterpreten, me gustó mucho, pero estaba esperando que fuera hilarante cuando sólo es divertido.

 De todas maneras funciona muy bien, los personajes son encantadores, la historia es agradable y progresa muy rápido. Y para alguien como yo, que adora The Tudors también provoca más que unas pocas sonrisas, aunque sólo sea por lo ridículo. Para quien no sepan quién fue Lady Jane Grey (la protagonísta) en la realidad, ella fue Reina de Inglaterra durante una semana más o menos después de la muerte de su primo Edward, luego de dicha semana Mary Tudor (la Bloody Mary original) marchó hacia Londres, tomó el palacio y la decapitó.

 El libro sigue el ascenso de Jane y su forzado matrimonio con un hombre bastante... especial. Su vida comienza a ir en una dirección completamente distinta pero no se detiene ahí, también hay magia y tonterías mientras que las autoras trasnforman la historia comonmente plana en todo un viaje. My Lady Jane es un muy buen libro, quizá no mi favorito pero muy bueno de todas maneras.

View all my reviews

You Might Also Like

0 Comments